My family story

Well no better way to start this blog than my family’s story. My parents have been married since 1990, 26 years at this point. I was born in 1993, and my brother Nick was in 1998. and it has been a fun ride. Nick has autism and a few years ago developed a seizure disorder, but it has not stopped my family from living our lives to the fullest.

Nick has not always been able to open up to us fist few years of his life, that was until he discovered cats. Our aunt, uncle and cousins had a cat that he just loved, but obviously we could not take him. Mom, seeing a chance, asked what kind of cat he wanted. After some careful thought this was his perfect cat: Boy, black fur with a little bit of white on his toes, could not have kittens, green eyes and his name would be Seal (to this day I do not know why that name.) Now my dad is not and still is not a cat person, but after weeks of persuasion from the three of us agreed to finding this “perfect” cat. I could not make this next part up even if I tried.

Two weeks after my dad agree Mom, Nick and I went into our local PetSmart still looking for that cat. Stopping by the windows, Nick took a good look before pointing at a black male cat with just a bit of white on his toes sleeping in his cage and said “That’s Seal” At that exact moment the cat woke up and had green eyes. Mom and I just looked at each other in dumbfound shock. One of the workers let us into the back to meet this cat, instantly he came up to me and started rubbing up against me. As I pet him he began purring, and it was the loudest sound I had ever heard out of a cat. To give an idea listen to pigeons cooing and turn it up times two. It was not long before the paperwork was filled out and we had Seal. While I was at school the worker brought Seal home. She opened the cage, but Seal was still a little scared. Nick motioned for Seal to come to him, and he did curling up in Nick’s lap with Nick saying “It’s OK Seal your safe now this is your home.” My mother and the worker were in tears.

About two years later Seal was not eating well. Taking him to our vet, it was determined Seal had a infection in his gums. If Seal was going to avoid something worse his teeth had to get taken out. While Seal was undergoing his surgery, Mom suggested going out to lunch; try and keep our minds busy, but we had barley made it out of the hospital when Nick started crying. When asked why, he said he was scared and worried for Seal; what if something happened while we were gone. Mom began breaking down, not for Seal but because after all this time Nick was feeling empathy for someone other than himself. We both reassured him Seal would be OK, and he is. Just gotta mush his food around. Seal was not our only pet, and sadly this one does not end so well.

In an ironic twist of fate the same aunt that started the cat craze had adopted an adorable fox terrier and beagle mix a couple of years after my family had gotten Seal. His name: Monty. They had rescued him from an animal shelter and it was clear he had been put through hell. His ears and tail had been cut, been shot at with some wounds still on him and was easily startled. Poor baby, they had to take him. Now my aunt and the family were moving from Connecticut to New York, but the building would not allow dogs, and they knew Monty would be easily frightened of the city.While it was an easy decision for my aunt, but because we had watched him so many times when they were away she agreed to give Monty to us. Now we had two pets, and a few other issues. Dad was okay with Monty, he loved the dog. Nick on the other hand not so much. He had a fear of dogs not knowing if they were coming after him, but because he loved us and our aunt he agreed to “tolerate” Monty. I think he did like Monty, but just wouldn’t admit it. Seal was the same way, let Monty know who was in charge of the house. We had Monty in our lives I want to say nine or ten years, and it was fun. He just lit up the room, even when he was being a pain, but then it came to a screeching halt.

A few weeks before I was going back to college Monty just stayed in bed all day, did not eat, drink; could not even go to the bathroom. Mom kept saying it was probably just a bug and he’d be fine in the morning. I agreed, but at night I had this sinking feeling in my stomach. Morning came, and Monty was still not doing better. Just our luck our vet was on vacation and wouldn’t be back until the next day; Mom knew Monty would not make it then, so we headed for the local animal hospital. Holding Monty as we drove down I kept trying to convince myself that there was nothing wrong, but some part knew August 24, 2015 would be one of the worst days of my life. Sometimes I hate it when I’m right. The doctors said they could give Monty some medicine to make him feel better, but there was a chance we would be be back at the hospital in two weeks. With hearts breaking Mom, myself and our vet the hospital called sadly agreed to put Monty to sleep. Nick apologized for the things he has said to Monty over the years, Dad said his goodbyes before going to work, Mom stayed through the process and remembering something my grandfather said to me before he passed I repeated to Monty “Be by that campfire when it is my time.” I miss that little guy every day, but I know I will see him again when it is my time.

Well I know that is alot to take in, but that is my family story. I hope you guys enjoyed it. I will be back soon.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s